If you are looking for a good sewing machine under $200, the best bet is to go for a good brand. There are many good brands available in US. However you need to do some research before buying one. The price difference can be quite surprising and confusing, the difference comes down mainly to the internal parts. The cheaper ones are those made of lesser grade metals or plastics instead of metals. You will also notice a weight difference many times. This way the companies can offer “more affordable” machines.
Your sewing machine should be a work horse for at least 10 years that is my theory. There are a lot of crap out there that will not work reliably or break down in a matter of months. Here is my top 10 list of best sewing machines available in USA, under $200.
1. Brother CS6000i
My personal favorite.
• Bilingual user manual, 25-year limited warranty, and free phone support for the lifetime of the product.
- Unbeatable Price :
- Low Maintenance : Dust proof
- Ease of Use : User interface is very simple. Automated features are excellent except for automatic thread cutter.
- Portability : Light weight makes it easy to move around
- Narrow Machine Throat : Free motion is slightly difficult
2. Brother XL2600I
- Free-arm sewing machine with 25 in-built stitches, each with multiple stitch functions.
- Accessory storage built into free arm; includes 5 accessory presser feet and user’s manual
- It features needle threader, thread cutter, drop-in bobbin loading, and auto bobbin winding; 1-step auto-size buttonholer
- 110-volt machine operates with foot pedal; additional light bulb for workspace illumination.
- Affordable :
- Easy to use for beginners
- 25 year warranty
- Excellent customer service
- Too many stitches that normal users won’t use
- Instruction manual is sometimes difficult to understand
- No carrying case
3. SINGER 7258 Stylist
Singer 7258 is an automatic needle threader. This Singer sewing machine, saves time by driving the thread into the needle-eye automatically. The programmable needle position control in this electronic sewing machine lets you change the position of the needle while quilting. It has 100 stitch options, the Singer 7258 allows for sewing almost any design you can imagine. Using the LCD display and stitch width and length control, you can easily customize the settings as per your convenience.
- Sturdy, won’t shake at all while operating.
- Auto tension feature allows worry free sewing
- Easy to load bobbin
- Automatic presser foot which cannot be adjusted
- Maximum stitch width is 5mm unlike others with 7mm
4. Brother LS2125i
Brother LS2125i includes 25 built-in stitches. These ranges from zigzag to shell tuck to blind hem settings, and there is an automatic four-step buttonhole function. The twin needle setting lets you sew a double line with two colors of thread for a smart decorative touch as well. The machine’s design and features are user-friendly, with some settings–stitch length and width–automatically set for easy operation. It also sews in reverse and has dial-adjusted tension for tidy work pattern.
- Affordable Price :
- Easy to learn and use
- Easy maintenance
- User friendly
- Easy to understand user manual
- Not Much
5. Michley LSS-505
The LSS-505 from Michley is a multi-purpose sewing machine. It features double thread, double speed, 8 built-in stitch patterns, forward and reverse sewing and automatic thread rewind. Sews sleeves and had a built-in sewing light as well. It uses DC 6V power.
- Light weight
- It can be run on batteries and AC
- Weak feed dog
- Lack of button hole stitch
- Thread tension
6. SINGER 7256 Fashion Mate
- 70 Stitch Sewing Machine with 5 Presser Feet and Instructional DVD. It works great for Crafting, Sewing and Quilting
- Simple Threading System with Automatic Needle Threader
- LED Screen with Automatic Stitch Length and Width
- Easy-to-Load Top Drop-In Bobbin System, with a Clear Cover
- 6 Fully Automatic 1-Step Buttonholes provide a professional touch.
- Silent operation
- Great stitching
- Automatic Bobbin Winder
- Easy to learn for beginners
- Poorly it LCD screen which make it difficult to see in some conditions
- No manual adjustments for presser foot pressure
- Well built
- Great beginner sewing machine
- Simple operation
- Not a digital sewing machine
- Lack of see through bobbin cover
- Stitch width and length adjustment is limited
- Extremely affordable :
- Easy to use
- Confusing Manual
- Value for money
- Great for beginners and professionals
- Easy to use
- High price :
7. SINGER 2259 Tradition
This sewing machine comes with quite a lot of features. It has an automatic four-step buttonhole, easy stitch selection, and snap-on presser feet. You can thread the machine quickly and easily. You just need to follow the arrows on the machine, and you are threaded in a snap.19 basic, stretch, and decorative built-in stitches provide options for everything from the most basic garment alterations to more elaborate décor designs.
8. Michley Lil’ Sew & Sew LSS-202
The LSS-202 from Michley is a mini sewing machine. Itfeatures double thread, double speed and automatic thread rewind. You may use hand switch or foot pedal to start. Foot pedal, adaptor, and thread bag included. It uses DC 6V power.
9. Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW
This sewing machine features 50 built-in stitches, including 5 styles of auto-size buttonholes. You can use the bright LCD display screen with computerized stitch selection to choose from a range of decorative, quilting or heirloom stitches to embellish your wardrobe. It provides effortless sewing on denim, tweed and other thick fabrics with the exceptional feed system.
10. Brother XR9500PRW Limited Edition