For anyone who is passionate about quilting, owning the best sewing machine for quilting is the ultimate dream come true. However, just as with all other types of sewing machines, there is no one best machine that is best for quilting. Quilting machines come in a wide array of models, from the most basic to highly complex models with intriguing features and accessories.
Choosing one from among this vast range can be a daunting task. If there is one tip that will hold you in good stead during your search for a quilting machine, it is this: The best sewing machine for quilting is not necessarily the most expensive but one that will give you the most value for your money. The right one for you will depend upon your quilting plans and your budget,
Special Features of Quilting Machines
Quilting machines are specially designed to handle thicker fabric and to give quilting projects that perfect professional finish that every quilter strives for. The best quilting machines offer these special features:
- Extended Bed Space: Bigger is definitely better when it comes to the bed space. This is the area between the inside of the machine and the needle. A bigger area makes it easier to maneuver bulky quilts.
- Stitch Regulator: A stitch regulator provides a consistent stitch length when doing free motion quilting, regardless of whether you are moving the fabric along fast or more slowly.
- Manual Tension & Stitch Length/Width Control: These features allow you to regulate the top thread tension and dimensions more accurately and are especially useful when you are using different weights of thread in the top and in the bobbin.
- Quilting Stitches: With specialty quilting stitches offer a great way to achieve certain effects such as buttonhole appliqué instead of having to use more laborious hand-quilting techniques.
- Needle Up/Down Control: The down setting holds the quilt in place when you want to stop and get off for a bit. You don’t have to worry about the quilt slipping off the machine while you take your coffee break.
- Variable Speed Motor: This gives you more control as it allows you to restrict the maximum speed of the machine to a comfortable level even when the foot pedal is completely pressed to the ground.
- Auto Thread Cutter: An automatic thread cutter cuts both, the top thread as well as the bobbin thread in one quick, clean movement action instead of you having to do it manually every time.
If there’s one place that you are sure to find the best sewing machine for quilting, it’s at Amazon.com. Take a look at this popular Singer sewing and quilting machine that is available at this online store at a price that is too good to pass up on.
SINGER 7469Q Confidence Quilter – Sewing and Quilting Machine:
With many sophisticated features that promise to make your sewing relaxed and creative, the Singer 7469Q is ideal for amateur and veteran quilters alike. Its automatic needle threader in addition to its programmable needle position and drop feed make quilting fun and easy.
Its ninety eight built-in stitches with variable stitch length and width possibilities allow you to customize your quilting projects. Add in an extension table and four bonus quilting feet and at less than $300, you know you have a winning quilting combination at an affordable price.